Monday, April 15, 2013

"New" Singer Goldie

Lookie at what jumped into my arms at St V's (just ignore the rest of the mess).
I learned how to sew on a similar model and I'm pretty sure that one of my grammas or great-grammas had a 758.  The one that I learned on had a lever (and a push button??) below the stitch length selector.  I do remember trying to (and breaking) the bulls-eye lever on what may have been the 758.  No one had a free-arm machine though ;-)
It's a Touch & Sew 778 - the free-arm sister to the 758. It's also the first machine that I've seen with rubber feed dogs (metal ones are currently on order).
 
Of course, it didn't come with a zig-zag stitch cam and I had to search for this one. (Thank you, Etsy. I found one from someone in a nearby town)

It did, however, come with a jammed bobbin winding mechanism (jammed, but not broken).
This is what the mechanism looks like with the lower cover removed.  The plastic piece on the left is the bottom half of the "bullseye" lever by the bobbin.  The round metal piece topped with a gear is below the bobbin.  What jammed was the little metal rod above the plastic piece (it's connected to the L-shaped metal piece). Well, a little insanity - tapping on the metal bar to push the rod up and gently prying it back down with a screwdriver blade - loosened the mechanism up enough to pump some machine oil into the hole with the rod. We're in business now!

No comments:

Post a Comment