Saturday, April 27, 2013

Going to the (feed) Dogs

I swear, there's feed dogs in this picture.  The Singer 778 that I found at St V's has rubber "soft touch" feed dogs. I honestly had never seen anything but metal dogs before - and I learned on a couple different Singers from the same era.

The rubber was breaking down anyway, so I ordered metal feed dogs as a replacement. I did find a caveat onlinevthat the metal feed dogs aren't an exact fit, so "modifications" would be necessary.  No kidding.  It took me several sessions with a cheap needle file (harbor freight) to shorten the dogs and narrow their width to operate without popping the needle plate out of position.

They look innocent enough, but there were hours of fussing trying to get the right amount of metal removed from all three areas that had to poke through the needle plate.  I did think about pulling out the dremel, but was afraid that I'd pull too much metal off any one area (and the space between the long, skinny feed dogs and the short, fat one is rather limited).

I *think* that I have the feed dogs properly adjusted, but it'll take a little bit of use before I put my file away.

I found quite a bit of good information at this Singer repair parts site.

No comments:

Post a Comment